NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday addressed the nation on the last day of coronavirus lockdown. In his address, the Prime Minister said that the nation-wide lockdown will be extended till May 3.
Here is a look at the highlights from Prime Minister’s address —
- Considering all suggestions, it has been decided that the lockdown will be extended till May 3. During this time we have to be disciplines like we have so far been.
- Till April 20, all districts, localities, states will be closely monitored, as to how strictly they are implementing norms. States which will not let hotspots increase, they could be allowed to let some important activities resume, but with certain conditions
- From April 20, those states or areas, which will not allow increase of hotspots or where the possibility of hotposts increasing is less, will see resumption of some essential services.
- We are moving with great pace on the health infrastructure fund as well. In January, the country only had one lab to test Coronavirus. There are now more than 220 labs working on this front.
- On Wednesday, the government will come out of extensive guidelines on the lockdown.
- I know you have faced many difficulties. Some have faced difficulty with food. Some have faced problems in commuting. While some have been staying away from their houses and family.
- I know the kind of trouble all of you have been through in this period. But I know, for the country, all of you have worked like a disciplined soldier. I pay my regards to all of you.
- India has been able to contain the spread and ill-effects of Coronavirus due to your patience. All of you have suffered to save the nation.
- The new year has started in several states in the entire country. The way people are observing the lockdown is inspiring and commendable. I wish you and your family good health on this new year.
- Even when India did not have a single corona patient, India had begun screening passengers from Covid-19 affected countries
- If India had not adopted holistic, integrated approach, had not taken quick decision then India’s situation would have been different. However, observations and results of the last few days have shown that the road we took was right.
- India has reaped the benefits of social distancing and lockdown. We have paid economic cost for it too. But it is nothing compared to the cost of the lives of Indians.
- People who earn every day and fulfill their needs, they are my family as well. It is one of my priorities to reduce their problems
Prior to his address, the Prime Minister had on Saturday held consultations with chief ministers through video-conferencing, during which talks were held over the need for extending the lockdown further after taking into consideration the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the country.
During the course of the meeting, the Prime Minister had said that there seems to be a consensus amongst the States on the extension of lockdown by another two weeks. He underlined that the motto of the government earlier was ‘jaan hai to jahaan hai’ but now it is ‘jaan bhi jahaan bhi’.
However, several States such as Odisha, Maharashtra, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, among others have already announced the extension of lockdown taking into account the rising number of cases in the respective States.
Source: Times of India