Mithran Suresh, Delhi
China To Donate $30 Million To WHO After US Halts Funding To The Organization
A spokesperson for the Chinese government confirmed Thursday that China will donate $30 million to the World Health Organization to aid in its efforts to mitigate the coronavirus crisis.“China has decided to donate additional $30 million in cash to WHO to support its global fight against #COVID19, in particular strengthening developing countries’ health systems. China already donated $20 million in cash to WHO on March 11,” the official said in a Tweet.
“At this crucial moment, supporting WHO is supporting Multilateralism and Global Solidarity.”
President Donald Trump halted U.S. funding to the WHO last Tuesday and announced an investigation into their alleged ‘mismanagement and cover-up’ of the pandemic.
“Today, I am instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” Pres. Trump told the nation during the announcement.
The President had earlier accused the WHO of being “China-centric” after the global body failed to warn the world about the virus early on and even spread misinformation that it wasn’t able to spread from person-to-person.Further, the WHO advised countries that travel bans wouldn’t be effective in stopping the virus. Medical experts on the President’s Coronavirus Task Force, however, have attributed Trump’s early decision to stop travel from China as a measure that saved lives.